UC Books to Prisoners Volunteer Coordinator
UC Books to Prisonersis a growing Urbana Illinois based project providing books to Illinois inmates at no cost by mail as well as through two county jail libraries which we operate. We are a community-powered volunteer organization which is guided using a consensus process. Our work is led by a paid, part time Volunteer Coordinator who performs a wide variety of duties ranging from community outreach to daily operational tasks in support of our mission.
Our mission is to provide books to inmates in Illinois by recycling donated books, to facilitate a quality volunteer experience, to offer a venue for inmates to tell their own stories and to educate ourselves and our community about prisons.
We are seeking highly organized, socially aware candidates to help us facilitate one of the most rewarding and engaging volunteer experiences in our community, while facilitating the growth of our organization in the coming years.
Volunteer Coordinator Job Responsibilities:
Coordinates activities of core volunteers (“keystaff”) by welcoming them and encouraging active and long term participation. Facilitates communication of volunteer commitments and schedules.
Volunteer Coordinator Job Duties:
- Performs 10-12 hrs of work weekly, some of which can occur remotely (May include Sat)
- Maintains relationships with student, church and community groups
- Responds to inquiries by email and phone, schedules group volunteer sessions
- Trains and supports volunteer leaders
- Facilitates and hosts public volunteer sessions
- Organizes two community book sales per year
- Participates in monthly Saturday afternoon business meetings
- Availability: each Tuesday 6:30-9pm, 2nd Saturdays Noon-2pm.
- Warm, welcoming demeanor and ability to represent our organization to the community
- Familiarity with technology (online document storage, spreadsheets, social media)
- Strong communication skills
Preference will be given to applicants having demonstrated communication and leadership skills, a commitment to social values aligned with our mission and experience with project management, grant writing or fundraising.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be engaged in a one year contract with a 90 day probationary period and the option of extension. The position includes training (overlapping with outgoing Volunteer Coordinator) as well as supervision. Start date: July 2017. Hourly rate: $15.